Monday, February 11, 2013

Life with Kids Series: Winter Minestrone (a soup your kids might actually eat... mine did!)


I love soup... my kids not so much. But this past weekend, my husband made a soup that was a surprise hit.

Winter Minestrone 

Adapted from our go-to cookbook - The Daily Soup – my boys enjoyed 2 bowls each!! It’s so rare to see them both enjoying the same meal and I’ve certainly never witnessed (even though it's customary in Chinese culture) either of them picking up their bowl to polish something off.






Here's a link to the recipe. We were missing several of the ingredients, but it was a snow day (I think we got about 30cm!), so rather than venture out we improvised. You should note that we didn’t have fresh basil, scallions or pesto, thyme was substituted with oregano, and pasta with white kidney beans. 

Tip: Rather than peeling and cutting the squash (the skin is so hard i find the task impossible to do), I prefer to cut in half, scoop out the seeds, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, and bake for a little over an hour. Once done, scoop out and add to soup. 

We are still eating leftovers. Yum. 

No comments: